Tuesday 20 March 2012

Tie Dying fun!

With the continuing rain, the arrival or our tie dye kit was met with much excitement....on my end. The kids were somewhat excited, but they were not quite sure about what tie dying involved. I had never tie dyed, but was excited for a project. I ordered the kit from Dharma Trading, and it comes with everything you need to tie dye up to 20 shirts. They have a smaller kit and larger kits, and I kind of wish we had gone with the larger kit. We had so much fun!
Here are the tied up shirts. The kit came with folding techniques that are similar to these, and tried out each of the techniques. We didn't have many white shirts, and so I made a pit stop at the thrift store and found several white shirts. I also decided to tie dye some white sweat pant fabric I've had kicking around for a while. I think it will make some fun kids clothing.

Let the tie dying fun begin. Notice the newspaper covering the table. Very necessary!




The final colourful shirts. We transferred these into a garbage bag, and let the dyes cure for 24 hours. The next evening I rinsed them out and washed them in hot water. We were so excited to see the final results. 


 Here are 3 out of the 5 of us in our shirts. Jas and I were wearing ours, but we both had hoodies on because we were cold:



I think we needed to use a bit more dye on the shirts, the white on the shirts looks dingy, but we know for next time.

This was such a fun activity to do with the kids, and I can definitely see myself becoming addicted to tie dying!!

If you haven't tried tie dying, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...